What is Mometasone?
Mometasone Furoate is a steroid nasal spray, which has a useful role in preventing and treating symptoms of Hayfever. The branded version of this medication is called Nasonex. Mometasone Furoate can help relieve inflammation, sneezing, itching and a blocked or runny nose.
How do I use Mometasone?
The usual dose of Mometasone Furoate 50mcg is to take two sprays in each nostril once a day, which may be reduced to one spray into each nostril once a day if your symptoms are well controlled. If you regularly suffer from Hayfever, it is best to begin treatment two to three weeks before the start of the season and continue for up to three months after. At a normal dose of two sprays in each nostril once a day, this medication should provide enough cover for up 35 days.
Priming the device
If it is the first time using Mometasone Furoate Nasal Spray, ‘prime’ the bottle by pumping the spray 10 times until a fine mist is produced. If you have not used the spray for 14 days or more, you will need to ‘re-prime’ the device by pumping the spray 2 times until a fine mist is produced.
Using the nasal spray
1. Shake the device gently and remove the dust cap
2. Blow your nose gently
3. Close on nostril and put the nozzle into the other nostril
4. Tilt your head forward slightly, whilst keeping the bottle upright
5. Start to breathe in gently or slowly through your nose
6. Whilst you are breathing in spray a fine mist into your nose by pressing the device down once
7. Breath out through your mouth
8. Then repeat if you need to take another spray in the same nostril
9. Then switch to the next nostril and repeat the necessary steps
10. Then wipe the nozzle and replace the dustcap
Use should refer to the patient information leaflet (PIL) for Mometasone Furoate for further information on use of the nasal spray.
As mentioned it is best to begin treatment two to three weeks before the onset of the season. However usually Mometasone Furoate should help relieve symptoms within 12 hours of the first dose, although benefit may not be seen for up to two days. It is important to use the medication regularly until the end of the season.
Combining Mometasone Furoate with other Hayfever treatments
The use of Mometasone Furoate (Nasonex) in combination with other antihistamines is commonly used in practice to manage Hayfever symptoms more effectively in some patients. This is as Mometasone Furoate contains a corticosteroid, which works in a different way to antihistamines and there is no clinical significant interaction between the two.