WHAT IS CLARITYN ALLERGY TABLETS?
Clarityn Allergy tablets contain the active substance Loratidine which belongs to a class of medicines called ‘antihistamines’.
Clarityn Allergy tablets help to reduce your allergy symptoms by stopping the effects of a substance called ‘histamine’, which is produced in the body when you are allergic to something.
Clarityn Allergy Tablets relieves symptoms associated with allergic rhinitis (for example, hay fever), such as sneezing, runny or itchy nose, and burning or itchy eyes in adults and children. They may also be used to help relieve symptoms of urticaria (itching and redness) which is often known as hives or nettle rash.
The effect of Clarityn Allergy Tablets will last a whole day and should help you to continue your normal daily activities and sleep.
You should talk to a doctor if you do not feel better or if you feel worse.
HOW TO TAKE CLARITYN ALLERGY TABLETS?
Adults and children aged over 6 years who weight more than 30kg (4st 7lbs): One tablet to be taken daily. Do not take more than one tablet in 24 hour period.
ARE THERE ANY UNDESIRED SIDE-EFFECTS WHILST TAKING CLARITYN ALLERGY TABLETS?
Like all medicines, Clarityn can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
The most commonly reported side effects in adults and children over 12 years of age are:
• increased appetite
• difficulty sleeping
Clarityn Allergy Tablets contain lactose and therefore should not be used by individuals who are sensitive or intolerant to this sugar.
You can find further information about the side effects associated with using Clarityn Allergy Tablets in its patient information leaflet.
WHAT ARE SOME OF THE CAUTIONS OF USING CLARITYN ALLERGY TABLETS?
Talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse before taking Clarityn Allergy Tablets if:
- You have liver disease.
- You are scheduled to have any skin tests for allergies. Do not take Clarityn Allergy Tablets for two days before having these tests. This is because it may affect the test results.
- Do not give Clarityn Allergy Tablets to children younger than 6 years old or to children who weigh 30 kg or less. There are other formulations more suitable for children younger than 6 years or with a body weight of 30 kg or less.
- Do not take Clarityn Allergy Tablets if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. This is as the active ingredient, Loratadine is excreted in breast milk.
- Do not take Clarityn Allergy Tablets if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to Loratadine or any of the other ingredients of this medicine.
Clarityn like all other antihistamine tablets may interact with other medications which could result in an increased risk of developing side effects or the treatment being ineffective. Therefore if you are taking other medications it is important to speak to your pharmacist or GP to ensure Clarityn Allergy Tablets are suitable for you to use.
For further information about the cautions and interactions of this medication, please read the patient information leaflet.
CAN I DRIVE WHILST TAKING CLARITYN ALLERGY TABLETS?
At the recommend dose this medication is unlikely to cause drowsiness, although is may vary from one person to another. It is therefore advised to avoid driving to begin with when you start taking this medication. Once you have been taking the medication for a while without it causing any drowsiness then you can safely drive and operate machinery whilst using it.
CAN I DRINK ALCOHOL WHILST USING THIS MEDICATION?
Clarityn Allergy Tablets have not been shown to add to the effects of an alcoholic drink.
CAN I USE CLARITYN ALLERGY TABLETS WITH A NASAL SPRAY TO MANAGE MY HAYFEVER?
Yes, it is common to combine use of a steroid nasal spray such as Beconase and antihistamine tablets (such as Clarityn) to control your hayfever symptoms if required.
- This product does not require any special storage conditions.
- Do not use this medicine after the expiry date which is stated on the blister after EXP. The expiry date refers to the last day of the month.
- Do not use this medicine if you notice any change in appearance of the tablet.
- Keep all medicines out of the sight and reach of children.
WHERE CAN I FIND FURTHER INFORMATION ON CLARITYN ALLERGY TABLETS?
You can find further information about Clarityn Allergy Tablets on the product packaging and information leaflet provided with the medication.
WHERE CAN I FIND MORE INFORMATION ABOUT HAYFEVER?
You can find further information about hayfever on our condition page here.