WHAT IS DERBAC-M LIQUID?
Derbac-M contains the active ingredient malathion which is an insecticide that works against parasites that live on humans such as head lice, crab lice and scabies mite.
Malathion works by blocking the action of an enzyme that is essential for the growth and survival of the parasite.
HOW TO USE DERBAC-M LIQUID?
Derbac-M can be used by adults and children aged 6 months and over.
TO TREAT HEAD LICE:
- All family members who are affected should be treated at the same time.
- Apply the liquid to dry hair and rub into the scalp. Allow the hair to dry naturally.
- Leave on for 8 to 12 hours or overnight and then use shampoo to wash it out.
- Using a nit comb, comb through the wet hair to remove dead lice and eggs.
- Use Derbac-M again 7 days after the first treatment to ensure any lice that survived the first treatment are killed.
TO TREAT CRAB LICE:
- All your recent close contacts and sexual partners should also be treated if they are infected.
- Apply the liquid over your whole body including your face, neck, scalp and ears. Avoid getting the liquid in your eyes.
- Ensure the liquid is applied to all hairy areas (such as eyebrows and facial hair) and genitals.
- Leave the skin to dry naturally.
- Leave the treatment on for 12 hours or overnight and then wash it off by having a bath or shower.
- Use Derbac-M a second time 7 days after the first treatment.
TO TREAT SCABIES:
- All household members, close contacts and sleeping/sexual partners should also be treated even if they have no symptoms. Everyone should be treated on the same day.
- Apply the liquid all over your body including face, neck, scalp and ears. Try not to get any liquid in the eyes. Please ensure your back, soles of the feet, between fingers and toes, under the fingernails and genitals are all covered with the liquid.
- Derbac-M should be applied when the skin is cool and dry.
- Let your skin dry naturally after applying the treatment and leave it on for 24 hours.
- If you wash your hands with soap during these 24 hours, please re-apply the liquid to your hands.
- After 24 hours, remove the liquid by having a bath or shower.
- Use Derbac-M once again 7 days after the first treatment.
- If you feel the treatment has not worked and you still have an infestation, see your doctor for advice and treatment.
WHAT OTHER STEPS TO TAKE WHEN DEALING WITH A SCABIES INFESTATION?
If you are applying liquid to an infant or young child, put mittens on to stop them licking their hands and do not apply the cream to areas around the mouth.
Children should stay off school until the first treatment has been completed.
Clothes, towels and bed linen should be washed at 50°C or above after the first treatment. This kills the scabies mite.
Itchiness will continue for a while after successful treatment. If this becomes severe, speak to your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
It is normal for the itch to last for up to 2 to 3 weeks (sometimes 6 weeks) after the scabies mites have been killed. If the itch persists for longer than 3 weeks, you should however see your doctor as this could be due to treatment failure.