What is Cymalon and what is it used for?
Cystitis is an inflammation of the bladder, which causes pain, discomfort and unpleasant burning sensation when passing urine.
Cymalon sachets contain granules to dissolve in water. They treat the symptoms of cystitis in women. Cymalon contains sodium citrate which makes the urine less acidic and helps reduce the stinging and burning sensation.
How do I take Cymalon?
Cymalon is for use by adult women only. Not to be used by men or children.
Dissolve the contents of the sachet in a glass of water and drink immediately. One sachet should be taken three times a day. This is a 2-day course of treatment and you should take all six sachets to complete the treatment.
Do not exceed the stated dose. If symptoms persist or worsen after the 2-day course is completed, consult your doctor or pharmacist. Do not repeat the treatment without medical advice.
What are the cautions and side effects of taking Cymalon?
Cymalon is generally well tolerated but it may not be suitable for everyone. You should always consult the patient information leaflet before taking this medication to ensure it is suitable for you to use.
Do not use Cymalon if you have
- An allergy to citric acid (anhydrous), sodium citrate, sodium carbonate, sodium bicarbonate or any of the other ingredients in Cymalon
Side effects of Cymalon include:
- Flatulence (wind) may occur
- Passing water more frequently
If you notice these or any other side effect not included above, stop use and tell your doctor or pharmacist.
What else can I do to help relieve symptoms of cystitis?
- Drink lots of water – try to drink around five pints a day during your 48 hour treatment, if possible and suitable
- Avoid drinks such as alcohol, coffee, strong tea or fruit juices.
- Pass water as often as you need to, which will help flush your body of any toxins
- Keep warm
You can find further information about Cymalon on the product packaging or patient information leaflet.