About 70% of infected females and 50% of males will not have any obvious signs or symptoms or they may be so mild they are not noticed.
If an individual is experiencing symptoms, however, these can include:
- Pain when urinating
- Unusual vaginal discharge, or discharge from the penis or rectum
- Stomach pain or pain in the pelvis
- Pain during sex for women
- Bleeding during or after sex for women
- Testicular pain in men
- Bleeding between periods or heavier periods
Symptoms may develop within a few days or weeks but can sometimes take months or even years to show.