Smoking is the most preventable cause of illness and premature death in the UK.
Smoking is associated with:
- Over 10% of deaths from stroke
- Almost 90% of deaths from lung cancer
- Around 80% of deaths from bronchitis and emphysema
- Increases the risk of heart attack by 5 times in smokers under 40 years of age
- Increases sperm abnormalities and can cause impotence
- Responsible for more than ¼ of all cancer deaths
It is also documented that for every 1000 young adult smokers, half will die due to a smoking related illness.