Genital herpes is usually treated by the use of antiviral medication such as Aciclovir, which can be taken at a dose of 400mg three times a day for five days.
There are other antivirals such as Valaciclovir and Famciclovir, which can be taken at a less frequent dosage, however they are all comparable in their effectiveness and Aciclovir is the most cost-effective option.
Self-Care Treatment Options
There are certain non-medical treatment options you can take which may be helpful, such as:
- Clean the infected area with plain or salt water
- Use adequate pain relief medication such as paracetamol
- Apply vaseline or topical anaesthetics to lesions to help with the pain you maybe experiencing
- Increase fluid intake to produce a more dilute urine to help deal with painful urination
- Wear lose fitted clothing
- Regularly clean towels and avoid sharing towels with others
- Avoid any potential trigger factors such as alcohol