How to treat genital herpes is usually by the use of antiviral medicines such as Aciclovir tablets, which can be taken at a dose of 400mg three times a day for five days.
There are other antivirals genital herpes treatments such as Valaciclovir and Famciclovir, which can be taken at a less frequent dosage, however they are all comparable in their effectiveness and Aciclovir is the most cost-effective genital herpes treatment, Aciclovir is not available over the counter and does require a prescription.
Self-Care Genital Herpes Treatment at Home Options
There are certain non-medical treatment options you can take which may be helpful, such as home remedies, essential oils and any of the following self-care measures:
- Clean the infected open sores area with plain or salt water
- Use adequate pain relief medication such as paracetamol to ease the pain
- Apply vaseline or topical anaesthetics to lesions to help with the pain you may be experiencing
- Increase fluid intake to produce a more dilute urine to help deal with painful urination
- Wear loose fitted clothing
- Regularly clean towels and avoid sharing towels with others
- Avoid any potential trigger factors such as alcohol