WHAT IS OVEX?
Ovex is a branded medication used to treatment threadworm infection. It contains the active ingredient mebendazole. Threadworms (also known as pinworms) are tiny worm parasites which infect the gut.
Ovex tablets are available in single packs or a family pack containing four tablets.
How DO I TAKE OVEX?
One tablet of Ovex should be to treat threadworm infection. All household members, including those without symptoms should also take one tablet at the same time.
Tablets may be chewed or swallowed whole with water. They may also be crushed if necessary before taking.
If reinfection occurs you should seek medical advice. You may be advised to take a second dose of Ovex two weeks after the first dose.
WHAT ARE THE SIDE EFFECTS OF OVEX?
Like all medications Ovex can cause side effects, although not all patients will experience them.
If you experience any of the following side effects, stop using the medicine and talk to your doctor or pharmacist:
- Common side effects such as stomach pain
- Uncommon sides effects such as stomach discomfort, diarrhoea and wind
If you experience any of the following rare side effects, stop using the medicine and seek immediate medical help:
- Convulsions (seizures/fits)
- Allergic reactions including unexplained wheezing, shortness of breath, sudden swelling of your face or throat, and hives (also known as ‘nettle rash’ or ‘urticaria’)
- Skin rashes (which may be severe and include blistering or peeling of the skin) and itching, and may be accompanied by a high temperature
Further information about the side effects of Ovex can be found in the patient information leaflet.
WHO SHOULD NOT TAKE OVEX?
Ovex tablets are suitable for adults and children aged over 2 years.
You should not take this Ovex if:
- You are allergic to mebendazole or any of the other ingredients in Ovex
- You are taking certain other medications including Cimetidine (used to treat acid reflux) or Metronidazole (antibiotic used to treat certain infections)
- You are pregnant
If you are breastfeeding you should speak to a healthcare professional before taking this treatment to ensure it is suitable for you.
HOW DO I STORE OVEX TABLETS?
- Ovex tablets should be stored under 25°C
- Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children
- Do not use this medicine after the expiry date which is stated on the carton. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month
WHERE CAN I FIND MORE INFORMATION ON OVEX TABLETS AND THREADWORM INFECTION?
You can find more information on Ovex tablets in the patient information leaflet. You can find more information about threadworm infection here.