Eumovate 0.05% is available as a cream and ointment. It contains the active ingredient clobetasone butyrate which is a corticosteroid that helps to treat swelling, itching and irritation of the skin. Eumovate cream and Eumovate ointment are used to treat moderate eczema, including contact dermatitis. It can also be used to treat other skin conditions such as psoriasis, prickly heat rash, insect bites and stings and nappy rash.
HOW TO USE
It is normally used once or twice a day for at least a week and you should try to leave a gap of around 8-12 hours if it is being applied twice a day.
You may find the amount of cream or ointment you should use is measured in fingertip units, which is the amount of cream or ointment you can squeeze onto your fingertip – which is the top of your finger, down to the first bend in your finger. As a general rule of thumb, a fingertip unit of Eumovate cream should be enough to treat an area of skin that is double the size of the palm of your hand.
When applying Eumovate cream or Eumovate ointment you should:
- Spread the cream or ointment, thinly over the area of irritated skin
- Make sure it is carefully smoothed into the skin, in the direction that your hair grows
- Not be apply it to broken skin or cuts
- Apply it to all of the irritated skin and not just the worst areas
- Wash your hands afterwards, unless you are treating your hands
It is usually recommended to use emollients when treating eczema, however you should not apply steroid creams or ointments at the same time. It is usually best to wait at least 15-30 minutes between applying Eumovate and a moisturiser.
HOW TO STORE
- Keep out of the sight and reach of children.
- Do not use this medicine after the expiry date which is stated on the tube or carton after (Exp) – the expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
- Do not store above 25°C.