WHAT IS IMODIUM ORIGINAL 2MG CAPSULES?
Imodium Original is used to treat 2 types of diarrhoea:- short-term diarrhoea and IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) diarrhoea.
The active ingredient in Imodium Original is loperamide which helps to reduce diarrhoea by slowing down an overactive bowel. This helps to allow the body to reabsorb water and salts which is usually lost in diarrhoea.
HOW DO YOU TAKE IMODIUM ORIGINAL?
For short-term diarrhoea:
• Adults and children over 12 years – take 2 capsules to start treatment. Then take 1 capsule after each episode of diarrhoea.
• Take up to a maximum of 6 capsules per day.
• If diarrhoea lasts longer than 48 hours, please consult your doctor.
• Not recommended for children under 12 years of age.
For IBS diarrhoea which has been diagnosed by a doctor:
• Adults aged 18 years and over – take 2 capsules to start treatment. Then take 1 capsule after each loose bowel movement or as advised by your doctor.
• You can use this medicine for up to 2 weeks for repeated attacks but do not take for any attack lasting longer than 48 hours.
• Do not take more than 6 capsules in 24 hours.
• Not recommended for children and young people under 18 years of age.
Ensure you are drinking plenty of fluids to replace lost water and salts.
WHAT ARE SOME OF THE CAUTIONS?
Do not take if:
• you have had a bad reaction to loperamide or any of the ingredients
• it is for a child under 12.
• if you have severe diarrhoea after taking antibiotics
• if you are constipated or stomach appears swollen
• you are pregnant or breastfeeding
If you are unsure, please check with your pharmacist or doctor before taking.
Imodium Original may interact negatively with some medications. Therefore if you are taking other medications regularly, you should always consult your GP, pharmacist or the patient information leaflet to ensure this medication is suitable for you to use.
WHAT ARE SOME OF THE SIDE-EFFECTS?
Like all medications, Imodium Original can cause side effects, although not all patients will experience these.
If you experience any of the following side-effects, stop using the medicine and talk to your doctor or pharmacist:
• common side effects such as feeling sick, constipation or wind and headaches
• uncommon side effects such as dizziness, vomiting, indigestion.
• Rare side-effects such as difficulty passing water, hives, severe constipation, miosis (narrowing of the pupil)
If you experience any of the following rare side-effects, stop using the medicine and seek immediate medical help:
• allergic reactions including unexplained wheezing, shortness of breath, fainting or swelling of face and throat
• skin rashes which could be severe and include blisters and peeling skin
• Loss of or reduced consciousness and uncoordinated movements
Further information about the side effects of Imodium Original can be found in the patient information leaflet.
• Imodium Original capsules are green/grey capsules.
• Keep out of sight and reach of children.
• Store in original package under 25°C.
• Please read patient information leaflet provided with this treatment and product packaging for further information on this medicine.