WHAT ARE IMODIUM INSTANTS?
Imodium Instants are orodispersible tablets which contain loperamide which helps to reduce diarrhoea by slowing down the bowel.
This medication can be used to treat short-term diarrhoea and IBS diarrhoea.
HOW DO YOU TAKE IMODIUM INSTANTS?
Please check the patient information leaflet provided with the treatment to see how many tablets to take.
The correct number of tablets are placed on the tongue which then dissolve quickly.
These tablets do not need to be swallowed with water or chewed.
For short-term diarrhoea:
• Adults and children over 12 years – take 2 tablets to start treatment. Then take 1 tablet after each episode of diarrhoea.
• Take up to a maximum of 6 tablets per day.
• If diarrhoea lasts longer than 48 hours, please consult your doctor.
• Not recommended for children under 12 years of age.
For IBS diarrhoea which has been diagnosed by a doctor:
• Adults aged 18 years and over – take 2 tablets to start treatment. Then take 1 tablet after each loose bowel movement or as advised by your doctor.
• You can use this medicine for up to 2 weeks for repeated attacks but do not take for any attack lasting longer than 48 hours.
• Do not take more than 6 tablets in 24 hours.
• Not recommended for children and young people under 18 years of age.
Ensure you are drinking plenty of fluids to replace lost water and salts.
WHAT ARE SOME OF THE CAUTIONS?
Please read the leaflet provided with this treatment before taking.
Do not take if:
• you are allergic to any of the ingredients
• the person is under 12 years of age (or under 18 if for an IBS patient)
• you are suffering from constipation or have a swollen stomach.
• you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Imodium Instants may interact negatively with some medications. Therefore if you are taking other medications regularly, you should always consult your GP, pharmacist or the patient information leaflet to ensure this medication is suitable for you to use.
WHAT ARE SOME OF THE SIDE-EFFECTS?
Like all medications, Imodium Instants can cause side effects, although not all patients will experience these.
If you experience any of the following side-effects, stop using the medicine and talk to your doctor or pharmacist:
• common side effects such as feeling sick, constipation or wind and headaches
• uncommon side effects such as dizziness, vomiting, indigestion.
• Rare side-effects such as difficulty passing water, hives, severe constipation, miosis (narrowing of the pupil)
If you experience any of the following rare side-effects, stop using the medicine and seek immediate medical help:
• allergic reactions including unexplained wheezing, shortness of breath, fainting or swelling of face and throat
• skin rashes which could be severe and include blisters and peeling skin
• Loss of or reduced consciousness and uncoordinated movements
Further information about the side effects of Imodium Instants can be found in the patient information leaflet.
• This medicine contains aspartame.
• store in a dry, cool place in its original outer package.
• Keep out of reach and sight of children.
• Please refer to the patient information leaflet provided with this treatment and product packaging for further information.